Tourism in Auvergne, stay at Hôtel Le Lion in Clermont-Ferrand
Thanks to its central location, when you stay at Hôtel Le Lion you can explore the streets of Clermont-Ferrand at your own pace, as you discover its heritage and historic monuments. It is also the perfect starting point for green tourism, whether it’s for a weekend or a longer stay, taking in Auvergne’s volcano landscapes and remarkable natural sites, some of which are listed as UNESCO World Heritage.
Heritage and historic monuments
- Notre-Dame-de-l’Assomption Cathedral: its two black spires, the work of French architect Viollet-le-Duc, standing 90 metres tall, are a major feature of Clermont-Ferrand’s skyline. This Gothic cathedral looks out over the Chaîne des Puys.
- Notre-Dame-du-Port Basilica: listed as UNESCO World Heritage, as part of the Routes of Santiago de Compostela, it is famous in particular for its triangular chevet decorated with rosettes and its sculpted great door.
- Medieval district of Montferrand: a picturesque area that has preserved its grid pattern layout and boasts some beautiful facades.
- Museums: Musée d’art Roger-Quillot (MARQ), Musée Bargoin, Muséum Henri-Lecoq, etc.
- A rich history of tyre manufacturing with the Auvergne-based company Michelin: Aventure Michelin
- And not to forget Vercingétorix, an iconic local figure, who overlooks Place de Jaude thanks to the brilliant sculpture by Bartholdi.
Tourism in Auvergne:
nature, volcanoes & the Puy-de-Dôme
- Outdoor activities and sports: a golfer’s paradise with four courses in a 30 km radius, hiking routes for all ages and levels, and paragliding sites, Clermont-Ferrand and the surrounding area offer many ways to discover the beautiful natural environment in summer and winter.
- Chaîne des Puys : listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site in 2018, the Chaîne des Puys is a chain of 80 volcanoes, more than 45 km long, running through the Massif Central. The most iconic of these is of course the Puy-de-Dôme, located 15 km from Clermont-Ferrand city centre. It is an exceptional site, reaching an altitude of 1465 metres and offering a 360-degree panoramic view, which can be accessed by its rack railway.
- Theme park: in the heart of the volcanoes of Auvergne, Vulcania promises a wonderful journey into the mysteries of volcanology. You will find dynamic attractions, 5D films, activities and interactive exhibitions, as well as games and original experiences. Have fun while learning about nature as a family.